A Brief History of Auburn:
Before the time of the great steamboats, Lyman Harding set out for Natchez from Massachusetts. Lyman found wealth and success in Natchez. Levi Weeks was employed by Harding to design and build Auburn, the first home built in Natchez according to an architectural design.
After Harding's death, Dr. Stephen Duncan and his wife, Catherine, moved into Auburn.
Besides being a Doctor of Medicine, Duncan became president of the Bank of the State of Mississippi, helped establish Trinity Episcopal Church. He expanded Auburn and even built a Greek Revival style billiards parlor next to the home for the entertainment of gentlemen.
After the Civil War, Auburn remained in the Duncan family until 1911, when Dr. Duncan's heirs donated the home and 210 adjacent acres of land to the city of Natchez, to be used as a public park. The contents of the house were sold at public auction. Few of those items would ever return to Auburn.