Located on Fourth Street South just south of the City of Columbus, Mississippi, Friendship Cemetery is situated on a bluff overlooking the Tombigbee River. This historic burial ground was founded May 30, 1849, on a five-acre parcel of land owned by the Union Lodge No 35 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
In 1957 the Odd Fellows deeded the cemetery to the City of Columbus, which maintains the present 65 acres containing approximately 16,000 graves.
In 1980 Friendship Cemetery was names to the National Register of Historic Places.
Friendship Cemetery is noteworthy not only as the burial place of people whose names are synonymous with the founding of Columbus but is also important for its associations with other people and events, which shaped the history of Mississippi and the nation.
In addition, buried in Friendship Cemetery are veterans of the American Revolution, The War of 1812, the Mexican War, the Civil War, the Spanish American War, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War.
Friendship Cemetery is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media